Kayaking Over an 80-Foot Waterfall, McKenzie River, Oregon
Photograph by Tim Kemple. See more in our Extreme Photo of the Week gallery.
“This is the moment when I hold my position and close my eyes as I anticipate the impact,” says extreme kayaker Erik Boomer of dropping over 80-foot Sahalie Falls on the frigid McKenzie River near Portland, Oregon. “All the work is done at this point; it is just time to enjoy the feeling of free fall.”
Boomer, who paddles over 20 to 40 waterfalls a year, is a true expert. But that doesn’t mean he can just go with the flow. “Waterfalls like this always have x factors that you have to deal with,” notes Boomer. “It is impossible to anticipate exactly what the water will do as you approach the lip. Waves, boils, and eddy lines are constantly surging, so you have to be prepared to react to the water the whole time.”
In 2011, Boomer and his expedition partner Jon Turk pulled off the first circumnavigation of Ellesmere Island, a feat which made them two of our 2012 Adventurers of the Year.
Getting the Shot
“They say that Sahalie Falls is 100 feet tall. The pure drop after the first dip is about 80 feet. It’s an impressive sight by itself, never mind seeing somebody kayak off it,” says photographer Tim Kemple. A recent snowstorm left the landscape highlighting vibrant blue and green hues. “The water was bright blue, the moss was electric green, and the snow juxtaposes everything perfectly,” says Kemple. The group waited for clouds to arrive, ensuring Kemple was photographing in even light.
To locate the best spot to photograph Boomer, Kemple knew he needed to head upstream and away from a classic tourist lookout for the falls. Kemple spent over an hour breaking trail through three feet of fresh snow. “By the time I was there, Boomer, who had simply paddled across the rapids, was ready to drop,” recalls Kemple. “What really blew me away was how easily and confidently Boomer paddled. He hit the bottom of the falls, popped out, and paddled to the take out. Like it was no big deal,” says Kemple.
To get this shot Kemple set up three separate Canon cameras with remote triggers. He fired a fourth camera, which got this shot, while teetering on the edge of the cliff.
See more photos and read an interview with the athlete and photographer on our blog.
sahalie falls is so gorgeous. and shocking! the first time I saw it we were walking through a little path in the snow to get to the viewing area or whatever. and now, I am all prepared to be 80% unimpressed with this so-called “waterfall”, having grown up in Buffalo and having high standards for what constitutes an impressive fall (Niagara is a tough act to follow). I am mostly focusing on putting my feet into starlegs’s footprints as I pick my way in girly shoes and a dress through the two feet of snow on this path, and only barely register the sound of the falls.
but damn, when we turned that corner and I saw them, I was blown. away. just stunning. everyone go visit them.
- allylish likes this
- izzytakesonoz likes this
- xabierperez likes this
- andysere reblogged this from ngadventure
- sheezonyall reblogged this from ngadventure
- filmes-no likes this
- btx91 likes this
- alythebird likes this
- silenceinacrowdedroom reblogged this from ngadventure
- pippipcheeriotaaraa likes this
- joshwords likes this
- thegirl-in-the-bluehouse reblogged this from wendesgray
- indigoandmountains reblogged this from wendesgray
- mariahjuly likes this
- wendesgray likes this
- awavecollapsingyou likes this
- lostkauaikid likes this
- erikawithac reblogged this from fuckyesoregon and added:
- bowtonoone reblogged this from fuckyesoregon
- beebopshoowop reblogged this from fuckyesoregon and added:
- katrinathekraken likes this
- pedpro reblogged this from fuckyesoregon
- wisdomisn-tfree reblogged this from fuckyesoregon
- graceinyourheartt likes this
- kevinharrison likes this
- fuckyesoregon reblogged this from ngadventure
- lauraleonard likes this
- cogitopos reblogged this from ngadventure
- theriveriscallingme reblogged this from upward-over-the-mountains
- upward-over-the-mountains reblogged this from ngadventure
- thrusters-on-full reblogged this from ngadventure
- wildeyesfordarkdays reblogged this from ngadventure
- chasethatwiththis likes this
- tamyka likes this
- unbeauvoyage likes this
- ngadventure posted this